All depends of the type of the organisation and the position of the candidate. The fleet ship manager could work with 2 or 3 vessels and even 30-40 vessels and the person responsible for this job has to be organised with deep understanding of the shipping business and also has to be very responsible. Experience as a Technical Superintendent within Shipping is helpful.
Describing the job of the Fleet Ship Manager:
- important and key position in a shipping company.
- Keeping ship well organised and working very well with other people in the team is important.
- The Fleet Ship Manager has to prepare the budget of the shipping company.
- It is important to keep an eye on the safety of the operations of the vessels(economically and efficiently).
- Reports have to be made, responsibility for the inspection of the ships and also audits.
- Managing not only the vessels is important. People should be managed, trained.
Qualification and education of the Fleet Ship Manager:
- Education is required to degree level or to have the level of the required qualification for the job.